TR4NC3BOY - Go Crazy TR4NC3BOY - Go Crazy

The transition at 0:37 is honestly a bit jarring. It sounds like a bridge between two separate songs, the section it leads to doesn't sound like it's in the same genre as the piano section before it. The transition at 1:44 has a very similar problem, it doesn't have too much in common with the previous section and for the first phrase it sounds like a different song in the same genre has been spliced onto the end. If you want the song to have more coherence, I'd suggest modulating to different keys over a longer period of time, and having a motif or idea to come back to as opposed to switching completely two times in one song.

The mixing is okay in terms of volume, instruments could be panned out a bit more though to make it feel wider. Not all instruments suffer from that narrow feel, a lot of your drums make full use of stereo but your synths and piano's in particular need that panning treatment.

I'd also considering playing around with the melodies you use. This song, in the second and third sections, repeats a 4 bar melody over and over, which gets a bit stale. You could add some interest by having multiple 4 bar melody sections that you use instead of the same one for each section.

I do quite like the drums you used in the first piano section. They sounded well mixed and interesting, and I'd strongly consider employing variety like that in future work.

4/10 because while each idea on it's own isn't too bad, combining them all together in one song really doesn't work.

TR4NC3BOY responds:

Agree with all your points besides the paning
the piano and synth are panned center because they are the center of attention.
All other stuff like guitars and flutes are panned as much as needed

Expedition Expedition

Is this downtempo? I'm not sure I'd necessarily agree with that tag but it doesn't detract from the piece itself so it doesn't really affect my score.

I like the different sections of the piece, and that they maintain distinct motifs' without being incoherent. I do wish you had changed up the string melodies a bit, taking advantage of the beautiful sounds you can get from slow high strings as well as the slow low ones. However, that being said, the run you did make is very nice and catchy.

I'm not sure whether the kick is a bit too "hardstyle", maybe it could have been differently EQ'd to blend a bit better into the mix. Indeed, in the kick sections, the mix does become too bass heavy, and probably requires a different set of levels on the instruments than in the orchestral section. Only a subtle difference is required, but it will help your melodies sound less drowned out. You could considering a more subtle sidechaining with the kick to help it blend a bit more.

Overall, nice piece, could have used a bit more work though in regards to development and mixing.

DJ-CJ-Doty responds:

Thank you very much for your review! Would have to completely agree with you. The exact definition of the word Downtempo is "music having a relatively slower beat" so that's really why I use it. I don't know what genre this is.

Will keep that in mind, thanks! I generally like melody changes during a song but some reason they feel misplaced when I use them in my own tracks. I'm going to research that now because you've brought it to my attention. Maybe even why many people think I'm too repetitive. :)

The kick and bass are probably too hard. I make Big Room and other hard genres of EDM so a good driving bass is usually what I go for in the climax of a track, but it does feel misplaced now that you mention it. I like Alan Walker so I'll look out for that next time when working on another piece like this one.

Thank you for your time, compliments and 3.5/5 rating. Really appreciate it. Have a nice day. :)

TheFatRat ft. Laura Brehm - Monody (GTB Remix) [NG cut] TheFatRat ft. Laura Brehm - Monody (GTB Remix) [NG cut]

The bass is a lil drowned out at the beginning because of that huge kick, but it still sounds fairly well balanced. Vocals appear nice and central to the mix, which is good.

The track is very much a dance track. It's a pretty good dance track though, def could see this getting banged out in a warehouse in London somewhere. Maybe you could have done a bit more with the vocals, brought them back for a second towards the end of the piece. Also having most of the instruments slowly attack over a bar gets a little bit boring but luckily you did well in slowly phasing that out towards the end. Instrument choice is pretty nice too. Could be arranged to have more dynamic and contrasting sections, but that would take away from the "dance" feel that is has.

Well done, mate. Hopefully you can produce stuff this well for original pieces as well as for remixes.

Dj-Gonzo responds:

Thanks for the review! The kick was a huge issue to deal with here, I think it has 3 automation layers over it, to try to fit the intensity of the chords while giving it enough punch to be noticed. I usually tend to leave behind the kick in other songs, but here I tried to fix it the best I could. Glad you liked it! :D

>GTB